Q: Have I always been Healthy Fit? When did I get started and Why?
I have not always lived a Healthy Fit lifestyle. I started the journey July of 2005 and in 2006 became really involved.
I can thank my friends for lighting my fire to live more healthy fit.
In July 2005, Miss Hawaiian Tropic (sun care company) held one of their nationwide preliminary model searches in Utah. My friends heard the contest being advertised on the radio and called to see if I was going to compete. They convinced me to try because of the prizes being offered and I had the personality for stage. I had done a few aerobic classes in college, but other than those few activities I did not work out or have a clean diet.
I had six days before the first competition and I put the pedal to the medal. I made dramatic changes to my diet and went on a work-out frenzy! I was shocked how much change I made in just one week. One of my friends stopped by my apartment to help me select my wardrobe and was shocked by my transformation. I ended up winning the show and won a few more competitions after. In the end, I walked away with the Utah title and traveled to Hawaii for the national competition.
Since that moment, I have been addicted to the Healthy Fit lifestyle because of the way I feel when I am on track with a clean diet and a routine exercise plan.
Q: What is my body fat percentage?
I fluctuate between 10 and 14 percent
Q: What motivates you to stay on track?
- The feeling of having energy, not being tired or bloated.
- I enjoy setting a good example and motivating others to adjust their lifestyle.
- Not only do I want to feel good about myself I want to continue to impress my husband for many years to come
- I refuse to continually buy new clothes because I cannot control my diet.
Q: How do I find time to balance my everyday life while being involved with so many things?
- Time Management, Preparation and Prioritization skills are key to survival.
- I make the most of each day. I accomplish what needs to get done and fit anything else I can get done and not stress when I cannot get everything done.
- I really try to prioritize everything based on deadlines and importance. If I don’t get something accomplished I push it to another day of the week and do not stress.
- I really do not watch any TV but do enjoy watching movies.
Q: What tips you would give to others who are interested in living a more Healthy Fit Lifestyle?
- Educate yourself about what it means to “eat clean” and it helps to subscribe to a fitness/nutrition magazine.
- Scheduling your cheat meals, whether it is once a day or on the weekends, make a schedule and stick to it! Testing your will power is a good thing.
- Preparing your meals and snaks on Saturday or Sunday… If your meals/snacks are washed, cut, measured and bagged it will be much easier to stay on track during the week. For most of us we are too busy in the morning to prepare our lunch and snacks and if not prepared we will leave the house empty handed and either skip meals or go out to lunch both of which are not healthy options.
Q: What challenges have you experienced and how did you overcome them?
Learning how to balance my diet while still enjoying my not so healthy favorite food and drinks. I used to think I had to continue a clean diet year round with few cheats. Having an all or nothing frame of mind was not a fun or healthy way to live. I learned it is ok and actually better to have enjoyable breaks.
I work in an administrative type office and there are always goodies in the office and lunches being planned. I have learned to set a cheat schedule and pick and choose cheats foods worth eating. I participate in the work parties by signing up to bring a treat and will attend to socialize but go back to my desk to eat my own lunch. I will usually attend the out of office lunches but will only order a salad or even just a drink. I would rather save my cheat meals for the weekends…!!!
Drinking enough water was a hard thing for me because I would forget to drink it… I find it helpful to pre-fill and have the daily amount of water needed readily available at my desk and/or in my car. I have to finish all the pre-filled water by the end of the day so whether I drink it all at once at the end of the day or drink it throughout the day is my choice but I will finish it!!! I have also found it helpful to drink certain amounts by certain times of the day.
Q: What type of training plan has worked best for you to achieve your goals?
I would say there is really not one type of exercise plan that has helped me achieve my goals. A combination of the following is what has helped my achieve my desired look:
- Switching the type of exercise preformed – free weights vs machines vs stability balls vs exercise bands
- Keeping training fun
- Taking two week vacations from the gym a few times a year
- Remembering to go through muscle gaining cycles in addition to toning/losing cycles.
Q: How did you Become a fitness Model:
1. There are a variety of social networking sites to join which help gain exposure
2. Tell people about your goals
84% of jobs come from networking –most of my jobs have come from someone passing my name along.
3. Start building a portfolio of pictures both professional and digital
4. Start participating in an online forum and/or blogs:
5. Try joining a modeling agency
6. Buy and Read “How to Become a Fitness Model” by: Clark Bartram
7. Enter competitions
8. Build a resume as you acquire experience